The application process takes between three and six months to complete and involves the following stages:
- Application form – complete the online application form. Read each section of the form carefully and give as full answers as possible. Remember to include as much recent evidence and examples as you can, to demonstrate why you would make a good Detention Officer.
- Shortlisting stage – your application form will be checked for eligibility and your answers will be scored.
- If you successfully pass the shortlisting stage you will then be required to attend a recruitment seminar in the Force area (this may be dependent on the Coronavirus situation). This seminar give you the opportunity to gain more information about the role and to ask questions. It is run by experienced Detention Officers and staff from Custody Services. Attendance at the seminar is mandatory for applicants to move onto the next stage of the process.
- After you have attended the seminar you will be invited to an interview which will either take place a West Yorkshire Police Headquarters in Wakefield or via Microsoft Teams.
- If successful at the interview stage you be required to undertake medical and vetting checks.